Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Design Idea

Design Idea:

Since every designer needs to do projects that excite and inspire them, I am going to start with making new contact/business cards. I figure this is something that I should update constantly.

My current ones (Vega Motel) are really neat, but I have discovered the following problems:

1. I am almost out.
2. My email address is different.
3. The tagline "Looking for Vacancies" doesn't apply anymore since I have a job.

Besides, they have blue, maroon and a dark gold bronze that doesn't match my personality at all. Since I want these cards to reflect ME and my PASSIONS and PERSONALITY, they are going to be black and white, with a splash of red, pink, teal, blue, and fuchsia. If you know me, you know this is my style, and pretty much what I wear. Right?

Continuing on...here is why I am sharing this idea. I need a little feedback, both from design people, word and vocabulary people, and people who know me well.

I am going to have 5 different designs, all linked with the main colors (b&w) and the splash. Same Fonts, same copy and placement of info. Each front will have the "picture". I say this term, "picture" loosely, because each is a different type of image.

1. photograph, spot toned (dotty)
2. woodcarving floral graphic
3. modern pattern (circles, more than likely)
4. Typography (yes!)
5. Cartoon drawing (from the 20s)

With each image, I'll have a word that describes me, or something I like. Design and Dance are two of my passions/likes/hobbies, so I figured I could follow a trend of D words.

Discovery
Delight
Dame
Darling
Devious
Details
Dashing

Now, word geeks: does it matter if they are not all verbs and nouns? Think about it: Design and Dance are both VERBS and NOUNS. The only words that follow that are DETAIL and DELIGHT. Thoughts? How about the word, DISH? DEAL? I like DISCOVER, even if it's a stretch.

The only other thing I am debating on (ooh! DEBATE!) is what word or words to use for the typography card. My initial thought is to just use my name. No, I am not obsessed with myself, but it leads into the book I have been working on. Cool.

That's it for now. Please give me some feedback, especially Cade, Jennifer and Rhonda. I thought of you guys as great resources and thought-paddles. (idea bounders!)

*

2 comments:

CadeRageous said...

Ok, I like the idea of changing your cards, since you are no longer looking for Vacancies (that was brill, by the way), though I love that old image of the Vega sign.

I think the color choices are good--align with your own personality is a good thing.

As for the 5 different kinds--I like the idea, but I think it may dilute the concept of who you are too much. Business cards can be fun and playful, but aside from the colors unifying them, people might not realize that you're trying to express your personality through your image choices since they are so different. You can do a set of different business cards, but maybe make them more unified via image (at least a little more).

As for the D words... they don't all have to be verbs. That is good thinking though, but it could go either way--I think people will like the D words, regardless of what TYPE of word they are.

what word to do typographically... doesn't matter to me! Your name would be fine, I think.. but it may render your name that's printed elsewhere to be redundant.

Sabrina said...

I think the images are going to reflect the word used on them. All five words will be on all cards, just to show the different parts of me.

I must be too Detailed about the D words.


:)

I'll probably give the dance cards to the dance contacts, the design ones to design people, and the others to whoevers.

While I would like business to come from them, they are more like contact-me cards.

Love the feedback. Thanks babycakes!